Tuesday, May 26, 2015

After trying everything to get my GPS to come on last night I was about ready to give up. Then I just held the “on” button down for about 30 seconds. Nothing happened. I put it down on the table and it started. She is a little temperamental. I ignore what she says so often I think she thought she would show me who is boss. She behaved today. Having a GPS is great. We used to have to use maps. Sometimes I like to turn down some road just because it looks interesting. After a few turns I have no idea where I am. She gets me unlost.

Our tour book says the best road in Ireland, and in all of Europe, is the Ring of Kerry. It is a loop road along the Atlantic shore line in the far south west corner of the country. That was our destination today.

The first part of it was a narrow winding road that hugged the hills with great views of the ocean. It was a great ride. The western end the road opened up and the tour buses started to arrive. We went clockwise. We learned that all the tour buses go counter clockwise. The road is so narrow that they do not want two buses to have to pass either other in opposite directions. We had to dodge the oncoming buses but there was little traffic going our direction.



On the way back to our hotel in Cork we went through Killarney. They have a beautiful church. We stopped, had tea in a small café and then visited the church. Almost every little town has these huge stone churches. Most are several hundred years old. They are also well maintained. It amazes me how they could design and build such huge structures that long ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment